STI stands for “Sexually Transmitted Infection” and STD stands for “Sexually Transmitted Disease”. These two terms sound similar and the difference between them can be confusing. One of the reasons for this is that up to a certain point these two terms were synonymous and were used interchangeably. But now there is a technical difference between these terms which has been acknowledged by the medical community and can no longer be used synonymously.
Anabolic Steriod Panel: Analyzes the sample for the evidence of multiple different steroids, all in one test. Tests for Lab Confirmation/MRO Included. Specimen Type: Urine
You May Also Consider
It's easy as 1-2-3..
- Fill out
- Get Results
Anabolic Steroid Testing
Anabolic steroid testing is performed to test hormone levels. It can be used if you want to know the general condition of your health or if you’re experiencing symptoms of aging. While steroids are often associated with illegal drug use, our bodies produce something called anabolic-androgenic steroids. These are made from testosterone and are very normal and healthy.
Both men and women have testosterone (although men have considerably higher levels).
The natural, healthy effects of this steroid in our bodies can help strengthen bones, build muscle, and improve athletic ability. This is why steroids are commonly abused in younger individuals, especially athletes hoping to enhance their performance.
If a man has used steroids illegally, it’s not uncommon for their natural hormone levels to drop as they age. This can bring about a slew of aging side effects and may require medical attention.
If your body’s hormone levels are not normal, you may need to discuss hormone therapy with your medical doctor to reduce your risk of serious disease.
Contact us today for more information.
What are Synthetic Steroids and Why is Steroid Testing Important?
Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of the male sex hormone testosterone, usually used by bodybuilders and athletes looking to gain muscle mass quickly. The abuse of anabolic steroids, associated with many health risks, has generated a large number of doping scandals in baseball, football, the Olympics, and even college and high school sports competitions.
Taking anabolic steroids is banned in every sport by most international sports organizations (including the International Olympic Committee) as it gives the athletes an unfair advantage. Athletes who test positive for steroids typically receive a several year suspension or even lifetime ban.
Health Risks Posed by Steroids
Individuals who take steroids on a daily basis (without a medical prescription) face the risk of adrenal gland suppression (which occurs when the body stops producing cortisol naturally), cataracts, glaucoma, liver damage, baldness, acne, muscle wasting, bone changes, fluid shifts, emotional instability, increased body hair, menstrual irregularities, high blood pressure, immunosuppression, fluid retention, worsened diabetes, or Cushing syndrome.
Anabolic Steroid Testing at Test Smartly Labs
At Test Smartly Labs, we perform two types of anabolic steroid tests, for both individuals and entire athletic programs of multiple teams. We do testing for synthetic steroid usage, which is often solicited by parents of teenagers, as well as sports team managers.
On the other hand, as anabolic-androgenic steroids naturally occur in the human body, we also perform tests to see hormone levels. This type of test can be used if you want to know the general condition of your health or experiencing aging symptoms. We perform the blood draw and help you get what you need to review your anabolic steroid levels with your doctor.
Contact Test Smartly Labs today for your Steroid Testing
Information On This Topic
Understanding STI vs STD
Privacy Matters for STI/STD Testing at Test Smartly Labs
While all health-related matters deserve the utmost privacy and confidentiality, some types of blood tests and lab work need even more. When it comes to STI or STD testing, you do not want to have any small chance of anyone you know finding out about your risks or diagnoses. Of course, if you go to your doctor’s office or even a public clinic, the HIPAA rules require everyone involved to keep your information private and secure. However, you may still have some doubts troubling your mind.
The Silent Epedemic STD
STD/STI statistics and need-to-know information to live a healthy life
It is one of the most difficult and uncomfortable topics for most people to discuss – and it is literally ruining millions of lives every day.
How Androgenic-Anabolic Steroids Can Affect Athletes
- They do seem to have strong effects on the human body, and they may be beneficial for athletic performance.
- Over the short-term, administering these drugs can increase strength and bodyweight
- Strength gains fall anywhere between 5-20% of the initial strength, and incremental growth of body weight by 2-5 kg (that may be attributed to an increase of the lean body mass) seems to occur.
- Primary negative effects of short-term and long-term AAS abuse include the tendency of male athlete users to experience increases in sexual drive, production of acne, and increased body hair growth.
Why is Taking Steroids Considered Cheating in Sports?
The illegal and unethical use of steroids continues to make news and sports headlines, as athletes continue to use them to gain unfair advantages and face serious charges when caught. Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of testosterone that are taken orally or by injection – boosting the hormonal system to produce extra testosterone. Anabolic steroids can be prescribed by the doctor to address specific conditions such as testosterone deficiency or delayed puberty. However, anabolic steroids are most popular among individuals who aim to augment sports performance and increase body mass in a short period.
Why Using Steroids in Sports is Considered Cheating
Most international sports organizations have strict rules against performance-enhancing drugs, given the fact that they deteriorate the fair-play spirit. The World Anti-Doping Agency sets the standards in what regards the acceptable substances and methods.
Banned substances or methods need to pass at least two out of three tests: they need to enhance performance, be harmful, or against the spirit of sport – the latter being rather vaguely defined. And it’s safe to say that steroids check everything on the list – since they make you bigger, faster, stronger, and give you a competitive advantage while putting your health at risk.
Using such substances breaks the contract athletes agree to: We are going to have a fair contest. To gain a better understanding of the matter, we warmly recommend watching the “Icarus” documentary on Netflix, which exposes one of the most controversial doping scandals in Russia.
Be prepared for your lab test!
- Make sure you have been Fasting for at least 10-12 hours for many blood tests
- Make sure you are Hydrated for blood draw
- Complete TSL Intake Form & HIPAA Disclosure
- Pay for your lab test upfront (We don't process insurance claims but can provide you with information to submit your own insurance claim)
- If you are having specialized testing, call ahead to help us determine if there are special collection preparations.
- If you are interested in one of our health panels, please feel free to look at our web listing to help identify which one you want performed.
- Please try to arrive 30 minutes prior to business closing to allow us time to process your samples for shipment.
What Are Your Hours?
- All Test Smartly Labs are open Monday through Friday, from 9am - 5pm
- The Overland Park Testing Center is also open from 9am – 1pm on Saturdays
Do We Need To Have An Appointment?
- No appointment is required to come into our labs, and all of our locations are on a walk-in basis. However, it is recommended you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing. If your situation requires special time considerations, please call us to determine if it would be better to arrange an appointment time.
Do I Need Doctors’ Orders For Testing?
- No doctors’ orders needed, we are a Direct-Access Testing Center. You are encouraged to consult your medical professional with your lab test results.
What’s The Turnaround Time For Lab Work?
- Average turnaround time is 2-5 business days depending on the complexity of the lab work. Most tests are available in 2-3 days.
Do You Need A List Of My Medications For A Drug Test?
- Per protocol, the lab techs are not allowed to receive or ask for your medications. A medical review officer or MRO, a licensed physician who specializes in toxicology, will call you and ask for your medications and your physician’s phone number if it’s detected in your sample during testing. The MRO will then call your physician to verify your medications.
Why is Steroid Testing Used?
Doping can only be stopped or prevented by testing and penalties – as both cocaine and steroids have ceased to be a big issue in professional football because of testing. At Test Smartly Labs, we offer steroid testing for both individuals and athletic programs – so if you want to make sure your loved ones or your team players are clean, you can always count on us.
Of course, as mentioned above – there are cases in which the doctor can give both anabolic and androgenic steroids as prescription meds in case supplementation is required. These medications are legally (and safely) under prescription and can have a strong positive impact, alleviating an array of conditions associated with hormone imbalance. However, if taken independently, they can lead to severe and often irreversible health problems.
Health Problems Associated with Steroid Abuse
The side effects caused by abnormally high levels of testosterone in the body can include high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol levels, liver damage, heart failure, acne, baldness, as well as increased aggressiveness and violent behavior. In teenagers who haven’t completed growing, the use of steroids may stop bones, joints, and muscles from reaching maturity – and can also lead to premature sexual development. Contact Test Smartly Labs today for your Steroid Testing
The Legal Use of Anabolic Steroids
Of course, the use of anabolic steroids is not always illegal. A doctor can prescribe this substance as a treatment to men suffering from testosterone deficiency since it mimics the function of the hormone. It can also be used to treat delayed puberty, breast cancer, or tissue wasting caused by AIDS.
Moreover, anabolic steroids are administered by veterinarians to animals in order to improve strength, vigor, or increase weight. Therefore, anabolic steroids can be great tools in alleviating certain medical conditions if prescribed by an authorized doctor. Otherwise, the US Controlled Substance Act classifies steroids as Schedule III substance – which means they are illegal outside the already mentioned circumstances.
Individuals who possess steroids can end up spending one year in prison for the first offense and up to two years for the second one – along with a minimum fine of $1,000. Individuals who are caught with large amounts of steroids face a minimum of five years in prison and a fine of $250,000.